<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Girl Night Revelations

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Girl Night Revelations

Hello to everyone out there in Blog-World,
Sorry I’ve been MIA the past week. Miraculously, we found a great place with an ocean view. Who could ask for more? Once we got settled in it was my turn to host girl’s night. It’s my favorite night of the week, or the month if we all happen to be very busy. My four best girlfriends and I make it a point to get together at least a few nights a month to have a night just for us. That may not sound often enough, which it isn’t, but once you start growing up those pesky responsibilities consume most of your time. Either way, girl’s night is a necessity for us. Best friends since high school, the five of us are like sisters and these get-togethers keep us in tune with each other.
So, as I was saying, the other night was my turn to host. I stopped by Trader Joes to grab some cheese, crackers, and a couple bottles of wine, all the staples of a perfect girl’s night. Once the girls arrived, the gossiping and story-telling began. As we sat around my couch and updated each other on our lives, my mind was constantly comparing my life to all of theirs. They all have what could be considered “grownup” jobs. I have been working at my current job for a total of four years. I didn’t mind it because it was simply a job to get me through school, one that would work around my complicated education schedule. Now that I have graduated it isn’t enough. I am definitely not happy staying there. It pays the bills, but I feel like a failure.
At the same time, the “grownup” jobs that my friends have would never make me happy either. One of my girlfriends is very smart and makes a good deal of money, but she works nine to ten hour days and then takes her work home with her where she continues it for another couple of hours. As she was describing another day consumed completely by her job, I realized that I don't want that either. I want to be able to enjoy my life and enjoy my work. I won’t be happy doing something random that I have absolutely no interest in. I don’t want to work simply to survive. How amazing it would be to do something that I actually love doing? Like writing! Now there’s an idea.                                                                                          
I guess I better get off my ass and make it happen then!
Until next time,
Sam

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home