<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: The Never-Ending Battle

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Never-Ending Battle

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the constant battle for self acceptance. You know what I am talking about, those pesky insecurities that never seem to go away. Not that my insecurities don’t randomly pop up periodically and quite frequently, but they have constantly been on my mind the past few weeks. The reason: a quickly approaching Vegas vacation. You are probably thinking “So what?” Well, my boyfriend and I are going with some of his family members that I have not met before for a birthday. It is important to me to make a good impression, and who doesn't want to look good in Vegas?

I know most people wouldn’t understand why I let this get to me, and half the time, neither do I. Of course I am not going to concern my entire trip around these annoying insecurities and comparisons that I create in my head. But they have led me to diet for the past few weeks and worry about my wardrobe. I am not a superficial person, but I am a normal 24 year old woman who wants to feel pretty. What woman doesn’t want to feel comfortable and confident? If you come across a woman who denies such desires, she is lying.
We all want to feel confident. It is engrained in human nature. We want to appear smart, or pretty, or rich, or whatever it is that makes us feel confident. Our insecurities are what get in our way. Confidence itself is beautiful. When you feel confident, you feel like nothing can stop you. So why do I have such a hard time mustering up that very important confidence? Not saying that I don’t ever feel confident, because I do. There are days when I feel very pretty, or circumstances that make me feel very intelligent. It just seems that those times where confidence is lacking are more frequent and more damaging.
I’ve read articles in magazines where women gush about how they finally found self acceptance in their thirties or forties. I wonder if that is a pattern for women, if I will finally reach that goal of total confidence. I guess I am a pessimist because I have come to terms that there will probably always be something about myself that I won’t like. The uphill battle is to not let my insecurities pull me down, not let them keep me from going after my dream job, or marrying my dream man. The lesson to learn is to not let those insecurities, whatever they may be, stop you from going after your dreams. Muster up confidence in yourself and in theory, we should be able to obtain any goal.
There are some words of inspiration to start your weekend.
Go get ‘em!

Confidently yours,
Sam

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home