<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Keep Calm and Write On

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Keep Calm and Write On

Good Morning Friends,

Not sure if any of you have ever wondered where I got the title for my blog, or even cared, but I am going to explain to you either way. Maybe you thought I was just being clever, simply titling my blog so that it would act as an introduction to each new post. In a way, I sort of was but the title isn't mine. I borrowed the title from one of my favorite Williams Carlos Williams poems:

This is Just to Say
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I have had this poem come up in a few of my college courses. Amongst all of the famous, intense, and complicated poetry, this one really stuck with me. It's a simple poem and yet there is something so beautiful about it. I have always said it's the small things in life that really count, like a simple note from a man to his wife apologizing for eating what would have been her breakfast. That is my take on literature, poetry, and my blog. I am simply writing what I think and how I feel. There is nothing complicated or drawn out about it. It was one of my favorite authors, Ernest Hemingway, who put it best, "My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way".  

This is why I love to read and write, why I am a big fan of those important communication units we call "words". There is so much potential in a word, or better yet, in a combination of words. Words can teach a child something new. They can keep track of history and inform on important matters. Of course, they can tell a story or create a new one. Words give us a way to attempt to explain ourselves, our emotions, and our actions. Words are the basis of our communication. Think of how much your brain would hurt if you had all those thoughts building up inside with no way to express them. I'm guessing that would cause quite the headache.

So, I encourage you all to pick up a pen and paper every now and then and just write, whatever is on your mind at that very moment. That is when it works best, when you can write something beautiful. Fresh thoughts work best on paper, it's when you have to force an idea that you usually get crap. What's the best way to do this? Get yourself a journal. I know, it sounds so middle school, but it is the best therapy you can buy for about ten bucks. Use those skills you were first taught back in first grade, when you had to trace the letters on that tan paper. That is one of the most important skills you have, simply to write. Grab a pen, buy a journal, and start writing.

Your welcome,
Sam

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home