<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Shake Things up a Bit

Monday, June 18, 2012

Shake Things up a Bit

Good Morning All!

Hope your Father's Day weekend was just lovely. Mine was great; filled with BBQ, friends and family. Now, it's back to work! Work. What do you do for work? Do you enjoy it? Most people see work simply as a means to earn money. They don't care if they are doing something they are passionate about, so long as there is money to be made. I wonder what percentage of people hate their jobs? If anyone knows, please, do tell.

As many of you already know, I have been searching for a way into the publishing industry since I graduated from college last May. Needless to say, the lack of response and lingering feeling of rejection brings me down every now and then. Reading and writing are what I am passionate about. Determined to build a career that not only earns me a decent living but also makes me happy, I will settle for no other industry. I enjoy working with my four-legged friends, but I feel that I am destined for the publishing world. It's as though I am a failure if I don't obtain this goal.
So, what do I do? I continue to write. I continue to send my resume out. I continue. It's simple really. I just wonder how long it will take before it pays off. I don't think my goal is unrealistic. It just takes effort to achieve. I could take the easy way out and pick a simple career at random, but then I wouldn't be happy. I'm not trying to be preachy and tell you all that the second-choice career you are in isn't good enough. All I am saying is, you shouldn't have to stay in a job that you hate.

Obviously, if you have responsibilities (those pesky bills or sometimes peskier kids) you can't just up and quit your current position. But why can't you start browsing for something that wouldn't make you dread Monday through Friday? If you have a shit boss that makes you want to rip your hair out, if you are sick of dealing with stuck-up clients, or even if you are just bored out of your gourd, it might be time to put on a pot of coffee and go online shopping for a new career. It could change your life, make your work weeks less stressful, and your weekends more enjoyable.

Sometimes life can get too monotonous. Add a job you hate to an already monotonous life and you get a big bag of crazy. We need change and excitement. Just like a first date, a new job is exciting and a little scary. It's just what we need to shake up our day to day routine. Maybe you like your job well enough, but do crave a little bit of something new. Take a vacation, even if it's a weekend getaway. Pick up a new hobby. Take up a sport, get crafty, or do as I did and start a blog. Something as simple as learning how to cook something new every week can be just what you needed to spice up your life. No need for a movie-worthy adventure, just a little variety.

Until next time,
Sam

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home