<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Thank God for Photoshop!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thank God for Photoshop!

What do you listen to in the car when you drive to and from work? I usually listen to KFI AM 640 talk radio, but only when I am driving to and from work (otherwise it's sing-a-long time). I don't really watch the news, nor do I read the newspaper aside from catching glimpses of news articles online, so this radio station keeps me up to date with current affairs. It is a bit biased and I immediately change the channel and scream "I hate you!" every time Rush Limbaugh comes on. Other than the ignorant, sexist pig that is Rush, I enjoy the station and the information I gather from it. Aside from the basic world events and political bitching, they often share some interesting and unique stories and studies.

The other day I was driving back to work after my lunch and the woman who reports the news was discussing social media and it's effects on society. Apparently, there has been a study that shows more and more people are getting plastic surgery these days. The reason: Facebook, Instagram, etc. This isn't really a big surprise, but it did get my mind wandering. With millions of people trying to perfect their profile pictures while comparing themselves to all the other close-ups, it's no wonder people start to nit-pick their own faces.

I can relate. Nine times out of ten I erase a picture the moment I examine it. Thank God for digital cameras, right? Remember when disposables and film-filled cameras where the height of everyday camera technology? You had just thirty-two or so pictures to take. Better not screw it up! Then you had to drop it off at your local Walmart and wait the two days to see if the pictures were even any good (or if you were really antsy you could pay the extra charge to get them in an hour). Now, we can take a picture and immediately scrutinize every aspect of it and determine whether or not its salvageable.

While I do feel the pain of those who consistently feel their photo-ops aren't as cool or pretty as other's, my sympathies stop short of plastic surgery. While I do understand the many reasons one may opt to go under the knife, I have to say that getting plastic surgery for the simple desire of better pics on Instagram is pretty ridiculous. To those of you who even consider it, I urge you to save your thousands of dollars and download an app for free that can fake pretty. That is the beauty of technology! Now we have hundreds of applications that can change pigmentation, erase blemishes, make our eyes more vibrant, and tone down our less flattering features. These wonderful inventions allow me to discard less pictures and simply edit them instead.

Does this all sound a bit vain to you? It does to me too, but it doesn't mean it's not true. I've said it time and time again, we all want to feel pretty (or handsome; I know plenty of guys who invest in Photoshop too). I would argue that these feelings are normal, to an extent. Personally, I would opt out of surgically altering my face. I stand by this statement now, but I am not ruling out the urge I will most likely get when I am forty and things have started to sag. I cannot shake the feeling that I will one day resemble my boxer, saggy cheeks and all. Maybe I'll eventually gain enough confidence to delete Photoshop and put thoughts of a new nose and pointy cheek bones to rest. For now, I will continue to abuse Photoshop and take it for all it's worth.

Happy Editing!

Sam

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home