<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: When I Grow Up...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

When I Grow Up...

Happily married to a sexy, yet kind, man. Mother to two beautiful, well-behaved children. Not only a graduate, but well on the way to becoming a successful editor-in-chief. Owner of a modest and modern beach house and enjoying plenty of vacations. Sounds fabulous and too good to be true. This is what I had envisioned for myself when I was a teenager and hopeful; "When I am twenty-five I'll be married, have kids, and be successful". What a dumb ass. I am now twenty-five with no husband and no kids (not that I am any where near ready for kids). I have graduated, but so far, to no avail. There is no fabulous career in the making; I am still struggling to simply get my foot in the door.

Life seems so possible when you are a kid. We can be anything we want to be, right? I'm pretty sure I wanted to be the first woman president when I was ten years old. Not that I want that job anymore, but I certainly don't have the credentials or the fake personality the job requires. It's a weird feeling, the moment you start to realize life isn't going to turn out quite the way you thought it would. It suddenly hits you that you actually have to work for everything (unless you are born into a wealthy family and you are spoiled beyond repair).

What got my mind wandering down this dreary road? One night I was minding my own business, just browsing Pinterest (not unusual in the slightest) and I came across yet another eCard:

I laughed to myself, thinking how true this was, when my boyfriend asked me why I was laughing. I showed him the eCard and suggested we play a game of MASH. We had fun picking out different ridiculous jobs and extravagant cars for each other. After the giggling and poking-fun, I started to think about how my life is far different than I had imagined it would be. While I did feel a slight bout of depression coming on, I decided to ignore it and focused on what the world would be like if all our lives turned out just how we imagined they would as kids...

There would be an insane number of princesses and cowboys. No one would be poor and we'd all have pet monkeys. Candy would be the most important food group and there would be no such thing as sickness of any kind. A day of work would consist of climbing around on the jungle gym at your local park. Every vacation would lead to Disney Land where Mickey would personally invite you back to his place for a mug of hot cocoa.

And then we get older and our visions of the future start to get slightly more realistic. We dream of becoming a famous pop star or a Nobel Prize winning rocket scientist. We will have a chance encounter with Justin Timberlake and he will, of course, fall in love and propose. Our houses are big and fancy; the thought of being poor is nonexistent. We live happily ever after. Of course these are obtainable goals, just highly unlikely.

I would argue that my current vision of what my life should be like is not unrealistic. I guess I'm just taking the long way around. It's not a straight shot, as I hoped it would be. I have to work for what I want. That's why we go into debt getting a decent college education. That's why we grit our teeth, put a smile on our face and do the grunt work. That's why we continue to be hopeful on questionable first dates. We work hard in hopes of obtaining the life we want. This is why we can be proud once we have accomplished it. We did it for ourselves, by ourselves. Who knows, maybe one day you will have that pet monkey or that fabulous ice cream taste tester job!

Future Editor-in-Chief,
Sam

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home