<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: The Beauty of Technology

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Beauty of Technology

Hello My Long Lost Readers!

I have to apologize for being MIA for the past two weeks. First week, I went on vacation. Disney World! Second week, the boyfriend had a minor surgery and I played half ass nurse. I say half ass because I was in and out of work all week and when I was around to help, he insisted on not needing any. Typical man. Needless to say, things have been a bit stressful lately. So much so, that the highlight of my week has been the discovery of Skype. Most of you are probably thinking, "Have you been living under a rock?"

Two of my friends from high school have just moved to Europe to start their own amazing adventures. One is teaching in Spain, the other is learning in London. I'm eighty percent happy for them and twenty percent jealous. My friend in Spain introduced me to Skype as an easy and, quite frankly, freaking awesome way to stay connected. Although I have known Skype existed, I had never actually used it. Now, I have no idea why I wouldn't utilize it.

It's technology like the ability to video chat that reminds me of how intelligent we are. I know Skype isn't some miraculous break-through technology, but it is a sort of basic, yet life changing kind of technology. We can visibly communicate with someone on the other side of the planet in real time. It's almost surreal. Aside from chatting with friends thousands of miles away from home, I also plan on using Skype to stay connected with those family members who despite being close in distance, I don't see as often as I'd like. For example, my sister and my two beautiful nieces live about 45 minutes up the freeway, but because I am often working weekends I don't get to see them enough. And when I actually do make it to a family function, my baby niece barely recognizes me (sad face).

When my oldest niece, now almost six years old (where does the time go?!?), was a toddler, my sister and brother-in-law were kind enough to let me live with them for a short period of time. For eight months Sage and I were roomies. When I got back on my feet, Sage walked around the apartment asking where Auntie Sam had gone. Break my heart! Ever since then, I have felt that Sage and I have had a special bond. She never forgot about me or felt shy around me. I don't want the littlest niece to hide behind my sister's butt every time I visit; bursting through the front door to give me a hug is more like it.

The solution to this unfortunate future relationship with my youngest niece is to use Skype for all it's worth. Until I get a normal nine to five job with weekends and national holidays off, I will make my sister dust off that Skype account so I can video chat with her and the girls on any night of the week. Maybe Skype sessions can make up for lacking visits and my nieces will feel closer to me. That's the beauty of technology, it prevails where we fail.

Tech-savvy,
Sam

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Ctsmith1286 said...

Welcome to the party Sam Sam! Here's another neat little tool I just discovered the other day - www.google.com. <33

 
At September 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Sam said...

Very funny, Mr. Smith.
Thanks for reading. Muah!

 

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home