<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Taking Matters into my own Hands

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Taking Matters into my own Hands

I have some news, well it might not be news to some of you, but nevertheless I have an update of sorts regarding my nonexistent career. You are all familiar with the bitching I do on a regular basis due to the lack of a career I can be proud of. Well, after multiple failed interviews that have made me seriously doubt my abilities, think of myself as a complete idiot and have at times caused me to down the better half of a bottle of wine, I have finally taken matters into my own hands. I am attempting to be the captain of my own fate, or whatever. What I am trying to say is that I have started a website.

Yup, that's right, a website all on my own. And guess what? It's a fucking nightmare. Excuse the potty mouth, but the amount of stress that goes into trying to build a website when you have the web design capabilities of a five year old deserves a few curse words. I'll spend hours and hours hunched over my laptop, sipping coffee and will have achieve little more than changing the location of my logo. It's infuriating, really. Nevertheless, I am doing it and have been working on it for a couple of months now. I am now at the point were the site is acceptable enough to promote to my friends and family. You know, get the sympathy exposure.

If you aren't already familiar with my new site, I bet you are now wondering what it is. Well, I'll tell you. It's an online book club for today's busy woman. Don't think it's a great idea? Well, too bad, it's already set in motion and you'll just irritate me by saying so. I think it's a great idea and it's been something that has been in the works, at least in my imagination, for the past few years. You see, if you scroll through all my previous blog posts you'll come across one from November 2011 (gosh that seems like ages ago, doesn't it?) that is titled "For the Love of Reading". It's all about how I truly enjoy being involved in a book club with my girlfriends and blah, blah, blah. Naturally, our book club sort of fell to the way side. In fact, I think our last book was from June or July of last year and we never even got together to discuss it. Don't worry girls, I still  love you and I know we all get too busy sometimes!

Anyways, having basically failed at an in-person book club I started looking for another alternative. I know there are plenty of in-person book clubs that work and actually succeed at sustaining more than a few months. I applaud those book clubs and their members. Truth is, I am not one of those women who has time for that. I have time to read, of course, before bed, after work, on my lunch break, while my boyfriend is studying for his much dreaded finance exam, etc. But I definitely don't have time to make it to actual meetings  twice a month. I don't doubt that those meetings are probably fun, I know ours were (the wine sure didn't hurt). However, it's just not realistic for most of the busy women I know. Thus, I started turning ideas around in my head and finally came up with an online book club specifically geared towards the professional woman. That's how The Chic Bookworm was born.

So, virtually all my spare time has been reserved for this project: writing articles, reading reviews, reading books, managing and updating the site, attempting to get an audience via Facebook. It's been a lot of work, but I can't say that I am not kind of proud. It's nothing of significance yet, and it may never be, but at least I can say I did it on my own and I attempted to make my own destiny. And who knows, if it catches on and makes waves, I can help the community, like a nonprofit that teaches kids to read or donates books to those who have none. Maybe I'll look back one day at all the crying and stressing over failed interviews and realize that what I ended up with was so much better.

Now you guys can help me out, by doing two things:

1. Like my page on Facebook, ya know, to make us look popular.
          https://www.facebook.com/TheChicBookworm

2. Visit the actual website and register for the forum. Pick up a copy of the book for February, read it, and   participate!
         http://thechicbookworm.com/

Thanks for all the support! It's greatly appreciated.

Happy Reading!
Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home