<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: How To Be A Grateful Guest

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

How To Be A Grateful Guest

It's been a week since we've moved out of our little apartment but we are still a couple of weeks away from closing on our new home. My mother-in-law has been incredibly generous to let Blake, me, and all three dogs stay with her until we can move into our new home. Not only is she letting us practically take over her home, she has gone above and beyond to make us and the dogs feel welcome. We awake to breakfast burritos and freshly brewed coffee. She even bought the pups two very large, plush beds to make them feel more at home. For a temporary living situation that pits five adults and three dogs together in a relatively small space, we've been getting along just dandy.

Thankful to have family willing to take in not only me and my husband but my motley crew of dogs too, I want to make sure that we don't take advantage of the kindness that has been extended our way. While my mother in law spent the weekend wining and dining in Napa Valley for her birthday, I did my best to keep the house in order. I spent the weekend cleaning around three gigantic boys, picking up the dishes they left behind, washing the couch covers full of dog hair, and tiding up where it was needed. Now I have some sort of vision of what it would be like to have three boys, yikes! Kudos to Jo, my mother in law, for raising three very well mannered garbage disposals. From what I've seen, she could do it with her eyes closed and her hands behind her back.

Anyways, my goal was to have the house spotless when she arrived Sunday evening so that she would have nothing to do on Monday, her birthday, but relax and enjoy herself. I even got flowers, a gift certificate to her favorite nail salon, and a card for all the boys to sign. It was a damn near impossible feat to keep the house clean with all those boys, but somehow I managed. Pretty proud of myself, I went to bed Sunday night as Jo was on her way home from the airport. I usually take the dogs to work with me, but this week is spring break so business was booming and I had to go in extra early to help. As I crept out of the house, I asked my half-asleep husband to take the dogs potty before he left. My plan was to run up to the house to grab the dogs for some doggy daycare when I had a minute to sneak away. It wasn't long before my husband texted to tell me that Iggy had shit in the house, very near to where my mother in law sleeps. To make matters worse, the puppy, Levy, decided she would take some of that poop up with her onto my brother in law's bed.

Lovely. All that work to keep the house clean so Jo wouldn't have to do a thing Monday morning and she wakes up to dog crap all over the house. She's a good sport, even laughed it off, but I wasn't so amused. My dogs know better than that and my husband later admitted to only giving them a chance to go number one as he rushed to get to work on time. Needless to say, I hate imposing on people. My goal is to make our stay as smooth as possible, not chaotic and messy. When someone extends kindness your way, you must respond with kindness. If someone opens their home to you, clean their kitchen, help with their laundry, do a grocery run. You should be helping out in anyway you can to make their life a little less stressful. You may feel like you displaced and your life is a little out of order, but imagine how difficult it must be for them to have their life momentarily upturned as well. It's all about kindness, give and you shall receive.

Picture Source: Ordinarymom.ca

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home