<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Calligraphy For Beginners: My New Hobby

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Calligraphy For Beginners: My New Hobby

With such a busy schedule, it can be difficult for me to find time to do things just for fun. Don't get me wrong, I get to do lots of fun things like playing with rescue pups, researching (aka tasting) new yummy cocktails to write about, and spending time with friends and family. What I'm referring to is more of the hobby-type stuff. I will attempt a new craft or cooking ideas for blogging material but even that's not the same. Between my work for the magazine, my blog, the rescue, and my normal day to day tasks, it's nearly impossible to find time to do something different just for fun with no strings attached. Well, I finally squeezed in something just for me, just for the heck of it.

Calligraphy Workshop For Begginers
The pretty set-up and started kit Jenna had for each of her students. 


This past Saturday, my mom and I took a calligraphy workshop for no other reason than we thought it would be cool to learn, or attempt to learn. I didn't do it for my blog (although I am writing about it now because it was awesome) and I didn't have a hidden agenda behind my reasoning. I've recently started following a few very talented typography stylists (I think that's what they call themselves) on Instagram. I'm a word whore, so I enjoy seeing the words I love in an aesthetically pleasing form. Seeing such pretty lettering had me wondering if I could pull it off. That was a big question mark, because although I have decent hand writing, cursive was never my strong point. Nevertheless, my mom and I gave it a go.

Mom did the research and found a Monvoir Calligraphy class being held in Brea for a reasonable price (damn, calligraphy can be expensive to learn!). We signed up weeks in advance as space was limited. The class lasted just a few hours but I can honestly say that I felt that I learned a lot or at least enough to keep practicing on  my own, something I need a lot of. That's my problem, when am I ever going to find time to practice calligraphy? Despite the challenge of a packed planner, I have convinced myself that I will continue to practice so that one day I may produce beautiful words in appearance too. Cheesy I know, but this is what I find cool. I'm a nerd and I know it.

Calligraphy Workshops for Beginners
My mom (on the left) and me learning the basics in a Monvoir Calligraphy class. 


Anyways, as Jenna (our calligraphy instructor for the day) was explaining the certain techniques to use, we traced our pens up, down, and around, and it was easy to see why people get so "addicted" to it. It's almost therapeutic, not to mention the sense of pride you feel when your lettering turns out the way you were hoping. I've said it before and I'll say it again, every one needs a hobby or two to stay sane. Blogging started as a hobby for me but with the amount of writing I do in a professional sense, my blog is sort of taking on that life too. Maybe calligraphy can be my therapeutic hobby? I resolve to keep at it but we will have to wait and see if push comes to shove.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning this awesome art form, you should absolutely try to take Jenna's class. For pretty words and other cool things, follow her on Instagram < @monvoircalligraphy >.

Calligraphy Workshop for Begginers
From my Instagram @samdobsonwrites

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM , Anonymous Mary said...

I love calligraphy and practiced it years ago. Reading about your class makes me want to start up again!

 
At December 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Sam Ulmer-Dobson said...

It's really therapeutic isn't it? Thanks for the read!

 

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home