<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: Baked Cake Mix Donuts

Monday, February 16, 2015

Baked Cake Mix Donuts

While I do enjoy cooking, it's not my favorite thing to do in the kitchen. I can follow a recipe just fine and I do love the end result but my heart (and taste buds) belongs to the art of baking. Cupcakes are my specialty and I enjoy experimenting with ingredients and decorating. Naturally, I follow some food bloggers on Instagram and Pinterest and have not failed to notice that donuts are currently winning the pastry popularity contest.

Ever since my social media feeds have been overtaken by pictures of delicious and gorgeous looking donuts, I've been itching to try my hand at making some. While at Bed, Bath, & Beyond with my mom and grandma I mentioned that I wanted to check out donut pans. My grandma, who seems to have everything house-hold related, offered me the donut pan she just happened to have but never used. I was just waiting for an excuse to whip up some of these tasty treats. We had a family gathering this weekend and I was charged with bringing desert...bingo!

Not feeling experienced enough with donut making to attempt the frying process, I decided to go for a recipe for baked donuts. Via Pinterest I found a basic recipe that used cake mix as a base from On Sugar Mountain and decided to go that route. Wanting some variety, I choose chocolate, yellow, and strawberry cake mix. Caution: this ended up yielding dozens and dozens of donuts.While prosperous, it's also dangerous for your waistline. I gave away as many as I could and made my husband take the rest to work.

Anyways, what follows is a simple recipe that's easy to follow and results in delicious, fluffy, dangerously-sweet donuts. Enjoy!

Baked Cake Mix Donuts


For The Donut 

* 1 box of cake mix
* 3/4 cup buttermilk
* 2 eggs
* 2 tablespoons of melted butter 

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep donut pan with cooking spray. Combine all 
ingredients (butter should be slightly cooled) in a large mixing bowl and mix until you get a consistent texture. Scoop mixture into a ziplock bag and cut off the tip of one corner. Pipe batter into pan and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool before glazing. 

Baked Cake Mix Donuts

For The Glaze

Traditional Glaze:
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* A few tablespoons of heavy cream

Directions: Mix together powdered sugar and two to three tablespoons of heavy cream. Add heavy cream as needed to thin and powdered sugar to thicken. Dip half of donut in glaze and sprinkle as preferred. Let stand until glaze hardens slightly. 

Baked Cake Mix Donuts


Chocolate Glaze:
* 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
* 1 cup heavy cream

Directions: Chop chocolate into small pieces if needed and pour into medium sized bowl. Bring heavy cream to simmer in a small saucepan. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit for a few minutes. Mix the mixture until consistent and let sit for ten minutes before using. Dip half of donut in glaze and sprinkle as preferred. Let stand until glaze hardens slightly. 

Baked Cake Mix Donuts

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home