<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://samdobsonwrites.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sam Dobson Writes: 5 Ways To Make Early Mornings Easier

Monday, March 9, 2015

5 Ways To Make Early Mornings Easier

One of the biggest adjustments I've had to make to accommodate my new job is a daily wake-up call of 6 am. I know, that doesn't seem like a sacrifice but with my previous job I had the luxury of making my own hours. Naturally, I didn't bother setting an alarm on most days and allowed myself to wake up naturally. Now that I literally have an 8 to 5, setting an alarm is necessary. 

I'm not naturally a morning person, but I've sort of forced myself to become one. During the first few weeks of my job, the early rising was brutal. Most days I felt like a walking-zombie until lunch time. It's been over a month since I began my new schedule and it's gotten easier overall yet I still have those zombie days once in a while. I've gotten into a specific routine and it has helped tremendously. Here are a few things I do (and you can do) to make early mornings easier. 

5 ways to make early mornings easier
Iggy and I are not morning people. 


Resist the urge to press the snooze button. It turns out that old adage is true; you snooze, you lose. Turns out, every time you push snooze and get ten more minutes of half-ass sleep is actually making it harder for you to get up. Experts agree that hitting snooze several times, or even once, can cause fatigue during the day. 

Leave your curtains open so that your room fills with sunshine in the morning. Sunlight signals to your body that it's time to stop the release of melatonin, the hormone that makes you tired and encourages sleep. Thus, encouraging your natural sleep cycle and making it easier to get up in the morning. 

Prep what you can the night before. To make my mornings a little easier, I prep my coffee machine the night before so that all I have to do is push the brew button in the morning. It's not much, but it saves me a few minutes and the hassle of making coffee while half asleep. I also shower and blow dry my hair at night; this alone saves me an hour. If I plan on taking my lunch to work, I'll prep and pack it the night before. For those of you that have struggle with style, pick out your outfits ahead of time. 

Try to fit in a short workout. If your morning allows, fit in some sort of physical activity. Morning workouts will not only wake you up and get your feeling refreshed for the day, but it will also help you get a better night's sleep. Added bonus: all those free-flowing endorphins make for happy days. Really don't have time for a full-blown workout? That's okay, just take the dogs for a stroll around the block. 

Squeeze in some "me" time. You did it; you woke up early without abusing the snooze button. Good for you! Now take some time to relax before you head off to work. Sit down with a cup of coffee and your daily crossword puzzle or read a chapter of your current book. Even better, combine your "me" time with your workout and enjoy a morning yoga session. However you choose to do it, reward yourself when you conquer the early morning hours. 


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 10, 2015 at 1:18 AM , Blogger i Steven said...

you must be good at sleeping too :)

 
At March 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Sam Ulmer-Dobson said...

I try, Steven :)

 

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback! Let me know what you think, ask me a question, or just say "hi". Thanks for reading!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home